My Pregnancy Saga

Pregnancy is so different for everyone and everyone has a story. Here is a little about mine.

I started thinking about the power of blogging and online communities when I was pregnant with Dean. Besides being sick for most of my pregnancy (like throwing up every day, sick) I thought it was going pretty well, then at 26 weeks, I became Rh sensitized.

I knew I had Rh- blood and was planning on getting the Rhogam shot at 28 weeks like everyone else with my blood type gets. When I did my glucose test they also tested my Rh levels just to be safe. They found I had been sensitized which is incredibly rare in the 21st century. You have no idea how many times I had to answer the questions, “Have you been in car accident, had a previous pregnancy, had an abortion, or any type of stomach trauma?” Essentially, they couldn’t figure out why babies blood and my blood had come in contact with one another. 

What this meant was because Dean and I have different blood types my body felt like there was a foreign invader and my blood wanted to attack it to protect itself. Well that invader, was my precious Dean. So starting at 26 weeks I had to move to a high-risk OB office and get screened for anemia (MCA Doppler Screening) every few weeks and do nonstress-test (NST) on Dean every week. I ended up going to the doctor’s office 2 or 3 times a week. Which was incredibly difficult being a full-time teacher.

The stress was overwhelming, and I started reading message boards, academic journals, anything I could to try to understand my condition and what I could do. And what I learned was there was nothing I could do but hope and pray he did not develop anemia too early to come out.

While all of this was going on, the doctors also told me that he was underweight. I started slamming the full-fat yogurt, nuts anything I could to try and fatten him up.  I made it another 8 weeks like this until I went in at lunch on a Friday, my last day of teaching (my doctor had me leaving early for rest), I had one class left to teach and they were throwing me a baby shower. I peed in the obligatory cup and sat in the hall while they took my vitals, and of course, this was the first appointment my husband didn’t come to because he had to teach (yep we are both teachers). As I am waiting I can tell something is going on. There was a lot of whispering and concerned looks. As soon as I sat down with the Dr., she told me I had developed preeclampsia and would be having my baby by the end of the weekend. I was shocked. I was 33+ 5 and felt like he was way too small to come out.

My husband came and took me to the hospital where we were then told that they were hoping I would be able to make it to at least 37 weeks and that I should get comfortable because I wasn’t going anywhere. I was so confused. 

I can’t even explain all the mixed emotions I was having. Oh did I mention… they put me on a magnesium sulfate drip for the preeclampsia which was explained as feeling all the bad parts of being drunk and none of the good parts. So all the info was a little overwhelming. I stayed in the hospital for the weekend and was doing pretty well until Sunday night when things went downhill fast. My liver platelets kept dropping and I started throwing up out of nowhere. Because I really wanted to have a vaginal birth they were trying to hold off as long as they could to induce me when they finally decided to they checked and I was already dilated 3cm, and I was only 34 weeks. I was ready and so was Dean.

To be continued…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *